My influences come from different parts of my life, complementing each other: a natural sense for design, an early childhood by the sea and sun drenched fields of Israel, a move to the east coast of the USA, rich in waterscapes and seasonal changes, a long IT career that sharpened my analytical skills and attention to detail, followed by a need and opportunity to awaken my visual self.
I paint in oils and dry pastels. My paintings are based on my own photographs and on location studies. They are realistic, representational and detailed.
My paintings and photographs feed off each other and are often exhibited together. In both I strive to capture a moment, instill a sense of place, evoke a feeling, re-live a memory.
• Nov 2008, Honorable Mention, LAA (oil)
• Apr 2008, Honorable Mention, MSHAC juried (pastel)
• Mar 2007, Merit award, Livingston Camera Club (photograph)
• 10-11/2009 - “As Autumn Leaves … II”, Palmer Museum, Springfield, NJ
• 01/2010 - The Ridgewood Art Institute Regional Juried Show, NJ
• 10/2009 - Mountain Art Show National Juried Exhibition, Bernardsville, NJ (also 2006)
• 08/2009 - Lucie Foundation, International Photography Awards
• 06/2008 - National Juried Photography Exhibition, Salmagundi Club, NYC
(also 2006 & 2007)
• ACL Gallery, Livingston, NJ
• Art Chateau Gallery, Chester, NJ
• B.Sc. in Mathematics and Computer Science – Bar-Ilan University
For more detail please visit www.MichalBarkai.com