My sculptures are 3dimensional drawings.
I use form to express complex experiences and to make inert materials seem lifelike. I use movement and stillness as a way to explore feeling.
I start by whittling purchased wood into irregular sticks that have thus absorbed my energy and feeling. Through this process the wood takes on individual characteristics and personality and sheds the mass-produced commercial quality. We are born unformed (like a tree trunk just cut from the forest) and are shaped through education and socialization (being trimmed at the mill) and finally life gives us back some rough edges as traces of experiences we have endured. Once the wood is conditioned, I combine it with other pieces of wood, using plaster cloth as the binding agent. This allows me to work quickly and intuitively.
• 1 year anniversary exhibition, Reverol & Co., New Rochelle NY
• Alumni Exhibition, The New York Studio School, New York NY
• Governors Island Art fair, New York NY
• 3x3d Leo Anker, Lisa Sanders, Gregory Whyte Gallery 212, Brooklyn NY
• Vytlacil AIR Alumni Show, Elizabeth V. Sullivan Gallery Sparkill, NY
• Lisa Sanders Sculpture: Shadows, John Davis Gallery, Hudson NY
• Nexus NJ, The Arts Guild of New Jersey
• Lisa Sanders: Wall to Floor, The Box Gallery, Galesburg, IL
• Alumni Exhibition, The New York Studio School, New York, NY
•Sculptor in Residence, The New York Studio School, Dumbo Sculpture Studio 2013-14
• Fellowship Residency, The Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT.
• Honorable Mention, Nexus NJ, The Arts Guild of New Jersey, Rahway, NJ.