If we turn our search for reality and truth in on ourselves, we may find only a stream of consciousness, a collage of impressions tinted by emotional states, a pattern that forms tightly in places and disintegrates in others. The pattern of our selves forms throughout our lives. Some are sparse and torn, others tight and crystalline. Most are both in places. Metaphors that inform my project: Life = pattern. Consciousness = pattern. Memory and belief systems = pattern. Change = the ever growing competition among patterns. I make paintings that are inspired by these interests. The idea of the known world, including my own life, consisting of an immense, humming pattern of individual elements, all with their own qualities, is a visual evocative idea that gives me ideas for paintings and other related projects.
2009 * “The Pursuit of Happiness,” Freedman Gallery, Albright College, Reading, PA
2007 * “Continental Drift,” 31GRAND Gallery, New York, NY.
2006 * “On the Outlands of Empire,” 31GRAND Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
2004 * “Glitch,” Green Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
2001 * “New Paintings,” Raymond Lawrence Gallery, Atlanta, GA.
1999 * “The Installations of Jon Elliott,” Raymond Lawrence Gallery, Atlanta, GA.
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
* “Curate NYC,” Elisa Contemporary Art, Riverdale, NY.
* “Summer Rotation: 2013,” Amy Simon Fine Art, Westport, CT.
* “The Big Show,” Silas Marder Gallery, Bridgehampton, NY.
* “On The Edge,” Cheryl Hazan Contemporary Art, 35 N. Moore St., New York, NY.
* “Lightness, Being,” Gallery Brooklyn, 351 Van Brunt St., Brooklyn, NY.
* “Paper Band,” Jason McCoy Gallery, 41 East 57th St., 11th Fl. New York, NY.